PANOPTIS is a technological project, driven by the actual needs of the end-users. PANOPTIS will pursue to adopt a start-up mentality, targeting to get right the following tasks:
- identify the needed competences to succeed in its objectives,
- forming a team that has the ability to perform in an efficient way and deliver high quality results.
PANOPTIS will follow a process by iterating a series of activities, performing preliminary module and system assessments and validation campaigns well before the pilot demonstrations (WP7).
- The proposed approach will be realized in 2 cycles, allowing new data from the evaluations to be incorporated into the outputs development process, revising it whenever necessary. The first cycle will close with the successful delivery of the initial integrated PANOPTIS system. The second cycle will finish through the final integrated system that will be based on the technical and operational assessments to be carried out in the first round of demonstration activities. Throughout the process similar initiatives will be monitored to identify new opportunities, threats and potential of collaborations, in particular with the US partners through the twinning activities that are foreseen in PANOPTIS.
- PANOPTIS will adopt a fast-failure approach in terms of getting through the steps in the concept maturing and system evolution process. This will provide a means of a rigorous assessment of options and the selection of the most suitable one based on balanced trade-offs that will not hamper the overall project progress. The project team’s peripheral vision will be used in order to keep a live roster of opportunities, threats and challenges in the area of interest, allowing an effective alignment to the current conditions throughout the PANOPTIS’s lifecycle.
- The approach will allow the PANOPTIS consortium to respond to external or internal opportunities during the project’s lifetime and will add to the project’s agility to accommodate really innovative solutions that will match emerging trends and needs at the actual time of implementation. Thus, the real potential of the final outputs ensures the uptake in mid-term horizon after the end of the project.
In support of its agile/iterative approach, PANOPTIS is organised to perform smaller scale intermediate validations, in which end-users will be introduced to the developed and evolved solutions, so as to incorporate their feedback in a timely and resource efficient manner, aligning their needs with project outcomes to the highest possible extent.
This will also be a training opportunity for the end-users (EOAE and ACCI), so that they can understand the PANOPTIS’s value proposition in improving Road Infrastructures’ resilience through the integration of the proposed hazard-awareness solutions. Taking into consideration the high innovation and business potential of PANOPTIS, the iterative agile development will be executed with great discipline, having as a clear aim the constant improvement of components’ and system’s TRL. TRL6 is considered a critical threshold as a transition from experimental to real-life conditions is performed. From the technology demonstration (TRL6), a feasibility study, business planning and economic viability will take place which in combination with the ongoing developments and the pilot–scale study will produce a near to market product. This process will generate a gradually increasing TRL for the whole system and for each component individually.
WP1 – Project Coordination and Management: This WP will guarantee the successful realization of the project including the project administration and control, risk management, problem handling and quality assurance on management levels.
WP2 – End-User Requirements and Platform Design: This WP aims to define user and system requirements and produce a system design. The work performed in this WP will be the basis of the development taking place in WP3-WP7 as well as the main interface to involve the stakeholders in the development process.
WP3 – Atmospheric Forcing Modelling, Weather Now/Fore-Casting and Data Processing: Dynamic downscaling, maps of risk factors, extremes and environmental forcing at local scale and tailored forecasts are the main objectives WP3. The results of this WP will be interacting with WP4 and WP5 and feed the WP6.
WP4 – Vulnerability and Resilience Assessment of the Road Infrastructures: Employ the Structural/Geotechnical Safety Assessment (SGSA) tool to model and assess the vulnerability of (geo)structures under multiple hazards, provide simplified surrogate models for rapid near-realtime post-event reassessment, implement in software flow-state modules and provide the analysis framework to enable the flow of information from hazard to component state and system risk/resilience.
WP5 –Earth Observation, Sensor Data and Geospatial Services for Increased Resilience of the Road Infrastructures: Timely, multi-modal data and geospatial information from currently operational EU and international services will be integrated with other data coming from UAVs, ground vehicles and existing sensors on the pilot sites.
WP6 – Decision Support System and Enhanced Visualization Interface: This WP concerns the development and the integration of the Common Operational Picture (COP) module, the Data Fusion (reasoning engine), the Incident Management System (IMS) and the main Decision Support System (DSS). This WP is expected to be based on the outputs of the WP2-WP5.
WP7 – Integration and Piloting Activities: The PANOPTIS integrated prototypes will be delivered and the execution of the project’s pilots based on the defined scenarios. The outputs of the pilots are expected to feed the development process towards the TRL maturity process of the PANOPTIS system and its components.
WP8 – General Dissemination, Creation of PANOPTIS Identity and Standardization Activities: This WP focuses on the formation of critical mass of stakeholders and on contributing to standardization activities.
WP9 – Exploitation Activities, Route to the Market and Project Sustainability: This is the business pillar of PANOPTIS, including all necessary tasks of the creation, adoption and validation of successful business strategies, taking into account market parameters and maximizing the possibilities for a sustainable solution.